- Alecraft brewing competition took place March 10th. They had 32 total entries for both styles, New England & West Coast IPA. Our vice president, Ken Gettleman won second prize in the NEIPA category with his N.E.I.P. Ale Crafted entry. Andy Smith from our club won 3rd place in the West Coast IPA competition.
- The grain buy was finalized. Thank you Gregg and George for your help with this!
- The style for March 2020 was selected. It will be Irish Stout.
- Full Tilt Brewing had its official opening day on March 22nd.
- We discussed breweries around Key West, the overall consensus was that they still have some work to do.
- George H recommended Stitch House Brewery in Delaware as a good place to grab a decent beer. Also mentioned Midnight Oil Brewery and Autumn Arch Project. Both are located in Delaware.
- George B mentioned Checkerspot Brewing Company, they have a good quad and a juniper IPA that deserves attention.
- Linda mentioned the newly opened Pooles Island Brewery located in Middle River. They have a self pour wall. She and Adi also went to some breweries in Richmond and Frederickburg. Most notably Stone and Tabol in Richmond, Spencer Devon and Strangeways in Frederickburg.
- Kelly had a good experience at a new brewery locate in Kenneth Square, PA: Braeloch.
- Gregg delivered the treasury report. We had 22 members at the end of Feb 2019 and $1038.58 in the account.
Style of the Month
- The style for March 2019 was Irish Red.
- George H shared Reverend’s Red from Independent Brewing.
- Ken brought commercial examples: Wexford Irish Style Creme Ale by Green King, Lucky SOB by flying Dog and Smithwick’s Red by Guiness.
- Dave H had some Red Brick Station beer: Octopus Pajamas a scottish ale.
- Claire and Art brought their Red Dog Ale.
- Chris B shared his homebrewed Irish Red clocking in at 4.6% ABV.
- Steve Sh. also brought a homebrewed Red Ale coming in at 4.7% ABV.
- Kelly shared his Seven Years Ago Red Ale.
- Linda and Adi brought their 40 Shades of Red Ale.
- Ken also shared his homebrewed red ale Schmitties.
- Matt had his NEIPA beer entered in the AleCraft contest.
- Gregg closed the night with Belgian Dark Strong coming in at 8.1% ABV.